Which brand of castor oil is best for hair growth? You may have heard of Jamaican Black Castor Oil and are wondering what makes it so special. Jamaican Black and good ol’ cold-pressed castor oil both work quite well for hair growth. Welcome to my guide to choosing the best castor oil.
I’ve been using castor oil to boost hair thickness, keep my hairline in check, reduce shedding & hair loss, and make my scalp happy for over 5 years. I love the stuff. It’s actually amazing how well it works and how few people use it since most people associate it with relieving constipation.
I have long hair, and it’s the best hair treatment I know of for men. Women also love it because it does a great job of thickening thin eyebrows and eyelashes. It’s also great for thickening a lagging beard. Basically, it’s awesome for growing hair. I actually have some in my hair right now and can smell the fumes wafting past my nostrils as I type.
In this guide, I share:
- Top 10 best castor oil brands for hair growth
- How to apply castor oil to get the best results
- Bonus tips sprinkled throughout for extra hair awesomeness
|#1) Home Health Original Castor Oil||
|#2) Heritage Store The Palma Christi Organic Castor Oil||
|#3) Tropic Isle Living Jamaican Black Castor Oil||
|#4) Pure Acres Farm Organic Castor Oil w/ Brush Kit||
|#5) Hair Thickness Maximizer 100% Organic Jamaican Black Castor Oil
|#6) Kate Blanc Cosmetics Castor Oil||
|#7) Leven Rose Jamaican Black Castor Oil||
|#8) Shiny Leaf Organic Castor Oil||
|#9) pura d’or Organic Castor Oil||
|#10) Aura Cacia Organic Castor Oil||
|Bonus Pick: Jamaican Mango & Lime Black Castor Oil||
Castor Oil Reviews
In this section, we’ll take a closer look at the brands in my Top 10 to see what current users are saying about their experience with these products.
Since no product is perfect, I’ll list the pros and cons of each oil to give you a better idea of what to expect before you choose your brand.
Home Health Castor Oil is the brand I’ve used the most over the years, and I have nothing but good things to say about it. The price is right. The quality is consistent, and the results are the real deal.
When I get into a nightly castor oil routine, I notice that the hair at my hairline becomes thicker. I also warm Home Health Castor Oil and apply it to my entire head. This “deep” treatment moisturizes my sensitive scalp and breathes new life into my long hair.
Heritage Store The Palma Christi
Heritage Store “The Palma Christi” is another top-rated and reliable brand. It’s actually the first brand I ever came across and tried. What led me to the Home Health brand is the lower price since I use a lot of it, however, it’s hard to beat Heritage Store’s organic option.
The organic version is available in a 16 oz brown glass bottle for a nearly unbeatable price per oz. As far as quality, Heritage Store and Home Health are about the same. You may want to test both to figure out which brand you like more.
Tropic Isle Living
If you’re on the hunt for the best Jamaican Black Castor Oil, look no further than Tropic Isle Living. Tropic Isle Living started all the way back in 1992. The company manufactures a range of health & beauty products and is most well-known for its magnificent Jamaican Black Castor Oil.
Tropic Isle Living is rich in Vitamin E, omega fatty acids, and minerals. This versatile oil nourishes dry nails, cracked feet, hair, skin, brows, and lashes like no other. The oil penetrates the scalp to nourish hair follicles. This effect leads to healthier, stronger, and thicker hair.
Kate Blanc Cosmetics
Kate Black Cosmetics Castor Oil is the ideal choice for women who desire thicker brows and longer lashes. The user reviews and before & after photos for this product speak for themselves. The greatest selling point is the price compared to more expensive beauty products that may not even deliver the same results.
Since castor oil goes far, a 4 oz bottle will last a long time if you plan to use it exclusively for your eyebrows and eyelashes. There’s also the added bonus of a money-back satisfaction guarantee.
These are the pros and cons I found reported in the Kate Blanc Cosmetics reviews:
Aura Cacia is one of my favorite essential oil brands. Their essential oils are always fresh and offer stronger aromas than inferior bands, such as NOW.
Aura Cacia Castor Oil quality falls in line with the quality of their essential oils, which is the main reason I included Aura Cacia in my Top 10 brands.
Jamaican Mango & Lime
Jamaican Mango & Lime is a popular Jamaican beauty product brand that manufactures a wide range of castor oil infusions. According to Jamaican Mango & Lime, they use only authentic Jamaican castor beans to make all of their castor oil blends.
The drawback is there’s no verification as to whether this brand is organic, hexane-free, and non-GMO. There are also additional ingredients including soybean oil, carrot oil, and grape seed oil. If you prefer a product that’s 100% castor oil, it’s best to look elsewhere.
Despite this disadvantage, the people who love this product really love it.
Sky Organics is another popular brand of organic castor oil that didn’t quite squeeze into my Top 10, yet that doesn’t mean it’s not worth a look. Sky Organics brand is organic, cold-pressed, hexane-free, non-GMO verified, cruelty-free, and vegan.
Sky even went the extra mile by listing the source of its castor beans as Kerala, India. The castor beans used to make Sky oil are grown by artisanal farmers in Kerala. Sky recommends its oil for eyebrows, eyelashes, hair, and skin. They also provide directions for each use.
Sunny Isle is considered by many to be the best Jamaican Black Castor Oil brand. After investigating the Sunny Isle reviews and Tropic Isle reviews, I made the tough decision to include Tropic Isle in my Top 10 over Sunny Isle.
Despite my choice, I think Sunny Isle is worth a mention and certainly worth a look if you’re shopping for Jamaican Black Castor Oil.
One thing I noticed is that several brands claim to be the “original” Jamaican Black Castor Oil brand. According to Sunny Isle, its oil is the only brand “approved for export by the Jamaican government.”
Does the quality of the product live up to the claim?
Hollywood Beauty is a castor oil blend with Vitamin E and 7 total oils. It’s recommended as a hair treatment and for moisturizing a dry scalp. Keep in mind, unlike the brands in my Top 10, Hollywood Beauty is not organic or cold-pressed.
In my opinion, the brands in my Top 10 are superior, especially since you don’t know exactly what you’re getting with this brand.
How to Apply Castor Oil for Hair Growth
Over the past 5 years, I’ve applied castor oil to my hairline and periodically on my entire head as a hot oil treatment. I’ve mixed it with other carrier oils & essential oils and used it on its own.
Receding Hairline Treatment
Overall, it’s treated me and my hairline well over the years. Here are the steps I follow to treat my hairline:
- Shampoo my hair
- Allow it to dry completely
- Once it’s dry (or later in the day), I apply castor oil to my hairline and clean forehead using my clean fingers
- Be careful not to apply too much because if you do, the oil will drip into your eyes (a little goes a long way)
- Gently massage the oil into your hairline and a couple of inches beyond your hairline to stimulate blood flow
- Allow it to sit for as long as possible (30-60 minutes minimum)
- Depending on how much oil you apply to your hairline, you may want to wrap an old towel around your neck to catch any drips (this is never a problem for me since I don’t apply enough to cause dripping)
- Wash your hair with your normal shampoo and be sure to focus on your hairline
- Optional: wash your hair a second time to ensure all the oil is gone (castor oil is very thick and does not wash out easily; I use extra shampoo the first washing to get it all out)
I apply it every night for at least a few weeks straight to get the most benefits. Once I’m satisfied with the results, I cut back my applications.
Hot Oil Treatment
Hot oil treatment is different since I apply the oil to all of the hair on my head. Here are the steps I follow:
- Follow steps 1 & 2 above
- Be extremely careful when heating the oil. It’s best to heat the oil over low heat in a double pot with hot water in the lower pot. NEVER heat the oil directly in a pot because it’ll get way too hot. After heating it, test it to be sure it won’t burn your sensitive scalp skin.
- Apply the heated oil to your entire head (you may want to dampen your hair to make it easier, but I prefer to apply it to dry hair)
- Once the oil coats your entire scalp, cover your head with a disposable shower cap
- Tuck all of your hair into the shower cap
- Optional: wrap your head with an old towel with the shower cap on to trap heat
- Allow the oil to sit for a minimum of 30 minutes, the longer the better
- When it comes time to wash out the oil, I always need to wash my hair 2 or more times. It’s more of a chore to remove the oil after a hot oil treatment than a simple hairline treatment.
Hot castor oil treatment is a lot more work than hairline treatment and to be honest, not a task that I love. 1-2 treatments per week for a month is good for me, then I cut back.
Why do I apply it to my forehead?
My forehead skin is prone to breaking out. The best way to keep breakouts in check is with castor oil and probiotics (taken internally). Castor oil prevents my forehead breakouts, heals acne scars faster, and makes my forehead skin a lot softer and smoother.
Believe it or not, castor oil has potent antibacterial properties (*), and it’s a great moisturizer. This combination is excellent for keeping my acne-prone forehead skin in check.
Castor Oil Benefits for Hair Growth
Instead of getting all scientific on you, I’m going to list all of the benefits I’ve experienced over the years:
- Hair regrowth at my hairline
- Thicker, softer hair
- My scalp can get greasy, which makes my roots oily and tips dry. Castor oil does a great job of evening the moisture along the strands.
- Less hair fall – I still get normal clumps when I wash my hair, but I notice a lot less hair on the floor when I sweep.
- Less breakage
- Accelerated growth of baby hairs at my hairline
- When I put my hair up, I feel more hair in my grip
- Easier to manage my dandruff and less scalp redness
- Relieves my itchy scalp
- A slight yet noticeable reduction in the appearance of my grey hairs. In my experience, Home Health and Heritage Store brands are the best castor oil for black hair.
- Faster overall hair growth
As you can see, there’s a long list of reasons why I use castor oil and will continue to use it. The older I get the less stuff I use. Castor oil is one product I swear by.
In my experience, castor oil is the best oil for hair. I mix it with other oils, but nothing beats it on its own. I’ve used neem, emu, jojoba, coconut, olive, and tamanu oils. None of them are better alone than castor in my experience.
Black Castor Oil vs Castor Oil for Hair Growth
The main difference between Jamaican Black Castor Oil and regular castor oil is how the beans are processed to make the oil. Regular cold-pressed castor oil is made from raw untreated castor seeds, while Jamaican Black Castor Oil is made from roasted castor seeds. The oil gets its darker color from the seed ash.
I viewed 1000s of user reviews and see no clear winner. People are obtaining the same benefits from both types. Personally, I prefer regular cold-pressed oil since the seeds aren’t treated, and it costs less. Also, it’s always worked for me, so I see no real reason to switch.
It’s also important to keep in mind that black castor oil has a stronger aroma because of the seed ash. Its darker color is also more likely to stain fabrics and towels if the oil drips during treatment.
Castor oil for hair growth is the truth. Will it work for everyone? Certainly not. No hair product or treatment is 100% effective for everyone. By choosing one of the best castor oil brands in my Top 10, you give yourself the best possible chance of achieving real results.
There are more than enough before & after photos posted online to see that this stuff works. The key is consistency. I get the best results for hair growth when I apply it every day for at least a month straight. After that, I apply it periodically until I think it’s time to go all-in again.
Best of luck on your hair growth journey!