Welcome to my ONNIT Shroom Tech review. This is an exciting review for me because Joe Rogan is advocating the stuff I’ve been taking for close to a decade and have been preaching about on this site since its inception. Needless to say, I’m an experienced cordyceps guinea pig who knows how to take it to get the best results.
In this review, we’ll compare Shroom Tech Immune vs Sport, briefly check out the ingredients, explore current ONNIT Shroom Tech reviews, and of course, I offer my two cents.
Does Shroom Tech Sport work? Or did they just slap a bunch of ingredients together and hope for the best? That’s what you’re about to find out.
Shroom Tech Immune vs Sport
Shroom Tech Sport Ingredients
Let’s check out the key ingredients in ONNIT’s “Sport” blend:
- Cordyceps Sinensis
- Green Tea Extract
- Methyl B-12
- Chromium (Picolinate)
On paper, the ingredients look good, but are the dosages sufficient? More on that in my review below.
- Does shroom tech sport have caffeine? The blend contains a small amount of “Green Tea Extract” which contains caffeine. However, the amount is tiny and could be under 1 mg.
Shroom Tech Immune Ingredients
Now let’s check out the “Immune” blend ingredients:
- Organic Chaga Extract
- Astragalus Root Extract
- Organic Agaricus Blazei
- Organic Cordyceps
- Organic Coriolus Versicolor (Turkey Tail)
- Organic Reishi
- Organic Maitake
- Organic Shiitake
- Turmeric (rhizome) Extract,
- Ginger Root Extract
- Oregano Leaf Extract
- Lemon Peel Extract
Immune vs Sport Conclusions
There is some overlap in ingredients between the two blends including cordyceps and astragalus. ONNIT designed its Sport blend to enhance physical performance, while the Immune blend boosts your immune system with a mix of shrooms and herbs.
One thing I do like is that ONNIT ran a 12-week double-blind study at Florida State University using its Sport blend. The results are promising and show increases in bench and squat reps as well as time on the treadmill.
Of course, a single trial isn’t enough to give a definite answer, however, it’s more proof than a lot of supplement companies offer.
Current ONNIT Shroom Tech Reviews
Before I write my final review of a product, I do a deep dive into the current reviews to see what I can sniff out. Over the past couple of years, my online sleuthing has evolved. Let’s see if this stuff is the real deal according to current users.
Here’s what I found for both blends…
Shroom Tech Sport Reviews
- The number of pills to swallow for each dose may irritate you. Several users are wondering why ONNIT doesn’t increase the strength and reduce the number of pills. I go over this point in my review below.
- Hit and miss results – You may find that one day a dose barely does anything, and the next dose blasts you off in the gym. This is another interesting point and something that concerned me when I looked over the ingredients – more on this in my review below.
- The addition of ashwagandha, which is an anti-anxiety and anti-stress herb (calming effect), may not be the best fit for this blend since ONNIT markets it as a pre-workout supplement.
- Results with a product like this are almost always going to be mixed. Some people will have noticeable results while others feel nothing. In my opinion, this has to do with the dosages of each ingredient.
- You may find that Shroom Tech Sport is better for endurance exercises than weightlifting.
- The greatest advantage of this supplement is that it provides clean energy rather than speedy energy that other supplements with too much caffeine can give people.
Shroom Tech Immune Reviews
- The reviews for ONNIT’s Immune blend are better than for its Sport blend. Before I began writing this article, the Immune blend looked like a better supplement to me after looking over the ingredients and dosages for both products.
- If you work in a crowded environment, the Immune blend could be your best friend during cold and flu season.
- Users have been able to stop colds by taking this right when they begin feeling symptoms.
- People who travel a lot, especially by air, are good candidates for this supplement. There’s almost no better time for an immune system boost than before a flight since the inside of an airplane is a germ factory.
- Suitable for the whole family
- It may reduce the duration of the flu.
My Shroom Tech Sport Review
This is an exciting review for me to write because I’m a longtime cordyceps user. I find it interesting that a lot of companies are suddenly offering it as a main ingredient in natural performance enhancement supplements.
The truth is this stuff has been around for ages, and it’s a staple in Asian herbal remedy closets. Here are my thoughts on ONNIT’s Sport blend:
- As I hinted at earlier, the addition of ashwagandha seems odd to me. I have experience with Ashwagandha and even recently wrote a guide to choosing the best ashwagandha brands. Ashwagandha is a great anti-stress herb, but its use in a pre-workout blend is questionable.
- The cordyceps dosage is too small for me. 1.2 grams is enough to feel an effect, but not enough to get a full cordyceps rush. I hover between 145 and 165 lbs depending on how much I’m in the gym. The dosage I take is between 2 – 3 grams.
- I previously wrote an article explaining how I take cordyceps with green tea because caffeine does a marvelous job of expediting the time it takes cordyceps to kick in. The small amount of green tea extract in this supplement is no match for the super-strong cups of oolong tea I make. I don’t see how it would add any kick to this blend.
- Cordyceps takes hours to start working and sometimes overnight. I get the best effect if I take it before bed and start drinking green tea the following morning. Cordyceps is not a pre-workout supplement, not even close. A superior option is a Tongkat Ali supplement. I take Tongkat Ali with green tea before the gym. Cordyceps will enhance performance in the gym, but it’s not something you take an hour before the gym and expect to work.
- I want to mention the hit-and-miss results. The reason it’s important to take an adequate dose of cordyceps is to avoid this problem. It’s almost impossible to say that every gram of cordyceps in a pile of powder will have the same strength – even if the powder is mixed sufficiently. You may get lucky and eat a strong mushroom one day and other times get unlucky with a weak mushroom.
- Lastly, I don’t know exactly what part of the cordyceps mushroom ONNIT uses. It says “whole” cordyceps, which could mean they include the mycelium and other parts I don’t want to eat. In the alternatives section below, I share a better alternative that is cordyceps “fruiting bodies” only.
My Shroom Tech Immune Review
I’ll keep my review for Shroom Tech Immune more short and sweet.
In my opinion, the Immune blend is superior to the Sport blend. Do I think it’s the best mushroom immune support supplement on the market? No.
The problem I have with this supplement is the dosage of astragalus extract – which is an herb I wrote about in my best herbal nootropics article and an herb I like. When I supplement with astragalus, I take several grams of the whole powder a day for several weeks in cycles.
The recommended dosage for the extract version is 250 – 500 mg a day. Since the astragalus extract in this blend is part of an 8-ingredient mix that amounts to 1 gram total, this appears to be an inadequate astragalus extract dosage.
The addition of several ingredients to boost bioavailability including Turmeric, ginger, and BioPerine is overkill for me. I’d rather get more mushrooms and less of these ingredients – one is enough.
Overall, I do think this product works and is best for short-term consumption.
Shroom Tech Sport and Immune Alternatives
In my ten years of experience using cordyceps, I’ve found that it’s best taken on its own between meals on an empty stomach or with green tea.
It’s also best taken before a long nap or bed because it makes me feel sleepy after I take it. It’s only after I wake up that I feel invigorated and energized.
Third, it’s better to take a powder that is fruiting bodies only. The cordyceps I’ve been eating recently in Asia is baby cordyceps militaris dried mushrooms that I’ve been eating raw.
Companies like to toss in mycelium, which is actually a waste product that contains little of the active compounds in the fruiting bodies.
These are superior cordyceps powders:
- Click Here for the gunpowder green tea that I drink with my supplements available at Amazon.
As for a Shroom Tech Immune alternative, Paul Stamets is a mushroom authority. His Host Defense mushroom blends are the gold standard:
I love mushrooms and have taken them for most of my life. Before I moved abroad, I studied mycology for close to a decade. Cordyceps is one of the only supplements I take these days and plan to take for the forseeable future.
It’s a safe supplement that gets the job done when taken correctly and in sufficient doses. I take it 1-3 times per week and drink oolong and green tea daily. This combination is enough to keep me motivated and super productive week in and week out.
I feel as though my ONNIT Shroom Tech review offers a unique take you won’t find elsewhere. Overall, I do think Shroom Tech Sport is better than a lot of natural performance enhancement supplements on the market, including Prime Test. However, I think there are superior pre-workout blends for the reasons I mentioned above.
Shroom Tech Immune has an interesting blend of ingredients, although if I had to pick one, I would choose Host Defense. It’s a superior product and costs a bit less.
What did you think of my ONNIT Shroom Tech review?